Bitten the bullet-lets see if the Solar PV stuff is any good

Do you make your own power ? be it Solar or Wind. Then this is a place for all home energy chat.
Flying John
Site Staff

Bitten the bullet-lets see if the Solar PV stuff is any good

Postby Flying John » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:32 pm

After a few years of putting off fitting some solar PV, finally decided to get a small (3.15 Kwp) system fitted. I originally looked a few years ago when payments of 40p/Kwh were being made - but the costs were very high and the panels were not pretty.

I have now been able to get a system installed for 1/5th of the price quoted 3 years ago. Works out at £1410/installed Kwp. They are slim panels, black anodised - so lot less obvious and are fitted by use of a limpet system that replaces one tile with a mount.

Just need a new electric wagon now, otherwise i will be flushing the toilets with free hot water !!

Flying John
Site Staff

Re: Bitten the bullet-lets see if the Solar PV stuff is any

Postby Flying John » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:16 pm

Well I have now had my 3Kwp system installed for a month and am making between 10 - 20KwH per day (avg 12kWh/day this month)

Have got a power diverter too, so once I have satisfied the normal house load, the surplus power heats a double size hot tank and then once that is satisfied it goes into a thermal store in the floor.

So I need to get another EV to make use of this free power because we wont want a thermal floor in mid-summer :lol:

Seems to be worth about £75 in a month, has save nearly a ton of CO2 being added to the atmosphere and if it continues at this sort of level will pay for the system in less than 6yrs.

John

jonathan jewkes

Postby jonathan jewkes » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:51 pm

About the power diverter. What make is it, and where can you get one?
Jonathan Jewkes
Daily EV user for 10years - an enthusiast and also a realist

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:35 am

Just google Solarmiser. Its a cost effective no frills 2 output power diverter.

Seems to do what it says on the tin and reduces the amount you give to the grid (at paltry rates) and allows you to get free hot water or storage heating. Suitable for all resistive loads.

John

Return to “Home Energy Area”