Electric Aeroplane (full-size, not a toy)

Have you an battery powered lawn mower or kiddy car or anything that is not designed for the road, be it home made or bought, then this is a area for you
MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Electric Aeroplane (full-size, not a toy)

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:39 am

Especially for Ed:

http://www.electraflyer.com/electraflyerc.php

An all electric aeroplane, the ElectraFlyer-C, available to buy from:

http://www.electraflyer.com

It has been flying at shows for the last couple of years...

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

Stuart Quinn-Harvie

Postby Stuart Quinn-Harvie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:14 pm

Crikey, that's actually pretty impressive. The prices for the trike mean you could have a functional electric aeroplane for around 12 grand if you buy a second hand trike over here and install the gubbins from the states.
Projected running costs in comparison to IC powered aeroplanes are good too - avgas is not cheap. Sound advantages too - I wonder what the prop noise is like? The article for the trike mentions slow revving prop so that (coupled with good prop design one hopes) should mean a fairly quiet aeroplane.

I nave to say I would prefer an Electraflyer C - I am happier with a 3 axis design, but that would I imagine cost more.
For a while at least. Frankly by the time I am likely ever to be able to afford one it'll be because prices have fallen anyway (ie in about 30 years and I am nearly dead:-) )

Oh yes hat's lovely :-)

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Stuart Quinn-Harvie wrote:Crikey, that's actually pretty impressive. The prices for the trike mean you could have a functional electric aeroplane for around 12 grand if you buy a second hand trike over here and install the gubbins from the states.

Plus about £60,000 to £100,000 to get the microlight through BCAR Section S compliance demonstration and flight test, assuming that it doesn't need too much modification work to meet the requirements. You may well have to build two, one to test to ultimate load for compliance demonstration and one to build as a machine to fly.

Jeremy

(who's put more than one microlight and one light aircraft through approval and still bears the scars...................)

PS: The Moni motorglider struggles to meet the airworthiness requirements here in standard form, so will almost certainly not comply at the much heavier MTOW for this electric version. I've worked on the approval of that, too. (sorry for the doom and gloom!)

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Jeremy wrote:
Stuart Quinn-Harvie wrote:Crikey, that's actually pretty impressive. The prices for the trike mean you could have a functional electric aeroplane for around 12 grand if you buy a second hand trike over here and install the gubbins from the states.

Plus about £60,000 to £100,000 to get the microlight through BCAR Section S compliance demonstration and flight test, assuming that it doesn't need too much modification work to meet the requirements. You may well have to build two, one to test to ultimate load for compliance demonstration and one to build as a machine to fly.

Jeremy

(who's put more than one microlight and one light aircraft through approval and still bears the scars...................)

PS: The Moni motorglider struggles to meet the airworthiness requirements here in standard form, so will almost certainly not comply at the much heavier MTOW for this electric version. I've worked on the approval of that, too. (sorry for the doom and gloom!)

Not at all Jeremy :wink:

Again another hugely expensive toy for the rich and famous and totally pointless for us mere mortals who are unlikely to have that sort of spare cash floating about even in 5yrs of hard saving :roll:

While we're in "doom and gloom real people havent got that sort of money" mode lets not forget the Tesla :roll:

I'm not likely to find cheap good 2nd hand EV's for under £5k for some years to come me thinks :( :(

Oh the doom and gloom of it all :lol: :lol: thank the lord for the Berlingo 8)

:lol:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Non road going EV's”