On the pull - Advice required for towing an electric car.

General BVS related area
aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:08 pm

Well, don't forget that there are many different small EVs other than the G-Wiz :)

I would personally recommend test driving the Nice Car. It seems a bit better build than the G-Wiz, but of course you have those two, then the Marinello, the Twike, the City El, and any number of self-converted ones!

In fact, the Smart EV hopefully will be an ideal candidate, but it won't come cheap. Of course, if you convert one yourself it may be the best solution :)

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

Fentoni

Postby Fentoni » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:05 pm

I know what you mean about the mini bike thing but I wouldn't want to ride around London on a little bike on a snowy Tuesday morning at 3am. I don't suppose many of my drivers will either. Moral issues aside I think we could be in breach of health and safety laws expecting our drivers to ride on mini bike in all weathers. :shock:

Fentoni

Postby Fentoni » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:07 pm

Cheers Niki,

I will check out those other makes.

electric cat

Postby electric cat » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:14 pm

ChrisB wrote:Ah yes but as EC says the vehicle ignition has to be on or possibley on to allow the steering lock to be off so hence the regen !!

Of course the Blingo can be turned on to position 1 which is steering unlocked but main contactor not on

ChrisB

Quite right the steering lock is only off if the contactor is on and the neutral is only an electrical neutral ie not forward or back but the controller being on then turning the motor will result in 30amp at 30mph

I personally wouldn't trust an A frame for long distance towing or above 30mph - there are very many stories of the towed car hitting a bump and knocking the towed car's steering onto full lock where it gets stuck! The towing vehicle being much more powerful and and heavy hardly feels it until the tyres and wheels get worn out and the showers of sparks become unignorable.

The only relatively safe way is to invest in a trailer - IMHO a folding quad bike trailer would do for a gwiz - though the total train weight has to below 750kg if there are no trailer brakes just possible if the trailer is alloy

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:22 am

As I suspected , not that I'm well up on the G-wizz :oops:

Must admit I've never had any problems when A-Framing, as long as the caster angle etc is OK and all the suspension is in good condition on the one thats being towed I wouldnt have thought there would be a problem and it would have to be a pretty BIG bump to cause the steering to go on to full lock etc and even then if everything is set up right then the steering will ALWAYS self center by its design.

I wonder if its more down to the fact these stories of cars going on full lock etc come from people towing vehicles with broken suspension or badly worn suspension.

As you say a trailer is the safest way, just not always the most practical for some.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:34 am

I understand the limit on weight for towing an unbraked trailer is 750kg and I would expect the G-Wiz exceeds this limit. So you then have to go into modifying the braking system of the G-Wiz which then gets into a whole load more technical and legal issues.

Basically the only way to be sure you are not towing illegally is to put it on a proper trailer. Oh you also need to check that the whole ensemble is still within the towing capacity of the vehicle you are towing it all with too!

Fentoni

Postby Fentoni » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:15 pm

After speaking to a helpful guy who sells the Elettrica he said that it can be towed with all 4 wheels on the road by an A-Frame at speads upto 45mph. Any higher and you risk damage to the motor. He said that this will be the case with all and every EV.
I would love to use a trailer however my business plan is to leave the van that towed the EV with the customer and drive back in the EV. .... Hang on :idea: I could fit a tow bar to the EV and tow the trailer back to base :lol: Get in!!
Thanks guys, I might have solved my dilemma. ... Now has anyone ever fitted a tow bar to an EV? :?
By the way all of the smaller single and 2 seat type EV's I have checked out are well under the 750KG limit (without a driver)

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:45 pm

Fentoni wrote:After speaking to a helpful guy who sells the Elettrica he said that it can be towed with all 4 wheels on the road by an A-Frame at speads upto 45mph. Any higher and you risk damage to the motor. He said that this will be the case with all and every EV.

True unless the EV can be driven at higher speeds than 45mph, my Blingo will do a max of 65mph and has done 70 down hill with the wind behind it :lol: and has also been towed at 50mph :wink:

So as long as you dont exceed the max speed of the vehicle then it shouldnt be a problem AS LONG as theres no chance the motor can back feed the controller etc

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:09 am

Hate to throw another spanner in the works but I've heard it said that nowadays a vehicle used for towing has to be approved and effectively tested by the manufacturer. For example did you know you can not tow with a Ford Ka because Ford never certified it for towing.

When exactly this 'law' came into being I do not know and nor do I know for sure if it's true or just a rumor but I'd not argue with the boys in blue over it.

It seems me to be just another of the many many laws this country is getting tangled up in thanks to the place being run by a bunch of out of work barristers and money grabbing accountants. Put the Great back into Britain Fred Dibnah for Prime Minister! Doh he's dead :cry:

Fentoni

Postby Fentoni » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:56 pm

Hello Qdos,
I think that refers to the Ka's inability to tow rather than be towed. If it's a case of chancing towing back an empty trailer on my EV then I think I'll chance it and hope that the old bill have bigger fish to fry :)

Return to “General”