inspection / registration / insurance

General BVS related area
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: forest hill, south east london

inspection / registration / insurance

Postby richard » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:45 am

Just out of interest in the UK what is required of a home DIY build to
1. make it legal to drive,ie any SVA type inspection
2. apply for savings on road tax, cingestion charges rules etc
3. Get insurance.

User avatar
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:56 pm
Location: London

Postby geekygrilli » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:03 pm

Hi Richard

I'll give answering your questions a go... I had a bit of difficulty getting DVLA to recognise my car has changed to Electric, but its not a difficult process...

1. You need to complete the modifiations and get the car road worthy.
2. Trailer the car to your local MOT man. Explain in advance what it is, and that everything is standard, except for the fuel type. Also explain that you are then going to take it to the DVLA.
3. Insure your car, Peter Best are good, I think.
4. Book it in for an inpection at your local DVLA office, they'll inspect it - just to make sure that it is no longer petrol.
5. They will change the V5 (well, send it off to swansea), and they should issue a FREE tax disk there and then.
6. Drive your car!

The people at the DVLA (swansea and my local office) didn't really know how to go about the changes when I did it, but I think I was just unlucky.

They insisted that I show them a 'Certificate of Change'; so I made one which was just a copy of the LPG form. Its not official, or approved in any way, but it was good enough for them! PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the form.

The inspection at the DVLA is not an SVA at all. The chap just wanted to look under the bonnet - I didn't even have to take it off the trailer.

Hope this helps?


Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:03 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby granada203028 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:33 pm

I went through the process a few weeks ago for a small motor bike conversion, and found it as above. I'm insured with Footman James. Bike is over 10 years old. If the Vehicle is younger an SVA test may then be required and I think SVA is going to be renamed something else. Local Bristol DVLA office were a bit stumped at first but conferred amongst themselves to puzzle out what to do.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests